CUTTING THE CORD
The evolution of high-speed internet services, coupled with streaming video options like Netflix, have opened a whole new world of entertainment options. Gone are the days of paying for expensive TV packages just to access the few channels you want to watch. Now you can “cut the cord” and eliminate your reliance on traditional, inflexible cable providers to gain more flexibility and control over what you want to watch.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
While it’s exciting to have new options, and new freedom, getting started can feel overwhelming. Not only do you need to select a streaming service (or a few), but you also need to ensure that you have the proper equipment to view the content.
Watch our quick video now to learn how to get started.
What are Online Streaming Services?
Over-The-Top (OTT) streaming services deliver television and video programming via the internet either on a streaming device or via a website. These services allow you to choose the specific content and/or channels that you want and are typically less expensive than cable or satellite.
What do I need to start streaming?
Our unlimited internet packages provide the connection and the speeds you need and we don’t throttle – or slow down – your connection based on how much you use. We do recommend an internet package with at least 10 Mbps per device that will stream HD content. If you want to stream 4K UHD, we recommend 25 Mbps per device.
- Research your favorite shows and channels. Spend a little time reviewing the channels and shows that you like to determine which devices and services will meet your needs.
- Pick your streaming device. Since not all streaming devices support all channels and shows, make sure you select a device that offers what you want. For example, you can use our ViewLocal app on your iOS or Android device or via a Roku streaming device.
- Hook up your device and start your subscriptions. Many streaming services, like Hulu, offer a free trial period so that you can test it before committing to monthly fees.
- Cut the cord!
Do I have to give up my local channels?
What are some of the available streaming apps and devices?
There are literally dozens of streaming apps available. Not all streaming devices host all available apps, so you’ll need to research which devices host the apps that you want. Here are just a few of the many options available:
- ViewLocal: Available exclusively to MEC internet subscribers, ViewLocal shows live broadcasts of all your local channels so you don’t have to give up on local news and sports that you love.
- Netflix: The pioneers of streaming TV, Netflix offers exclusive content as well as popular shows and movies.
- Hulu: Like Netflix, Hulu offers TV, movies and exclusive content, but Hulu also provides options to subscribe to premium channels like HBO. Hulu even offers access to current seasons of some of TV’s most popular shows.
- NFL Game Pass: Game pass offers out-of-market preseason games and full replays of every game of the season.
- Roku: This is the only streaming device to host our ViewLocal app and it also offers access to dozens of streaming apps such as Netflix and Hulu.
- Amazon Fire Stick: Amazon Fire TVs and Sticks offer TV apps and games and can sync with Amazon’s Alexa.
- Apple TV: Access TV, music, video and photos connected to your Apple and iCloud accounts as well other streaming apps and games.