Lifeline Rate Program
The Lifeline Program, a government assistance program subsidized through the Universal Service Fund, provides discounted telephone or internet service for low-income consumers.
COVID Emergency Broadband Benefit
The Federal Communications Commission has launched the temporary Emergency Broadband Benefit Program to help qualifying low-income households with broadband internet expenses. Eligible MEC internet customers can receive:
- Up to a $50/month discount on service
- Up to a $75/month discount if your household is on qualifying Tribal lands
- One Amazon Fire HD tablet, 10.1” 1080 Full HD, 32 GB for $49.99
The program will end when the fund runs out of money, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner.
General Lifeline Program
To be eligible for Lifeline, you must meet income-based requirements (< 150% of the federal poverty level) or participate in one of the following programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program (TANF)
- National School Free Lunch Program (NSL)
Your eligibility to participate in these programs will be verified by MEC or an authorized state agency. Lifeline is non-transferable and is limited to one discount per household (i.e. phone OR internet). Only eligible consumers may enroll and a household cannot receive Lifeline benefits from multiple providers.
Enrollees will receive a monthly credit on their MEC bill. Residents of federally recognized tribal lands may receive an additional reduction. Additional state support may be available.
Residential Discount for Internet or Phone
- Lifeline Discount: $9.25 internet, $7.25 phone
- Lifeline Senior: $9.25 internet, $12.35 phone
- Lifeline Tribal: $34.25
Download Lifeline Rate Application
For more information about this program, please visit lifelinesupport.org.