Local Students Win Electric Safety Contest
on Thursday, May 30, 2019
Two fourth grade students will see their electric safety artwork displayed in a larger-than-life billboard format this summer after winning the Midwest Energy & Communications (MEC) 2019 electric safety contest.
Alaina Lindgren, daughter of Andy and Jenni Lindgren and a student at Edwardsburg Intermediate School, reminds people to stay at least 50 feet away from downed power lines on her winning poster, while Laura Nadeau, daughter of Aaron and Tammy Nadeau and a student at Britton-Deerfield Elementary, reminds people that it's not safe to climb electric poles.
Each April, MEC provides interactive electric hotline demonstrations to fourth-grade students and teachers throughout its service territory in southwest and southeast Michigan. This year's demonstrations reached more than 600 students in Cassopolis, Dowagiac, Edwardsburg, and Marcellus in southwest Michigan; and Addison, Britton-Deerfield, and Morenci in southeast Michigan. As part of the outreach, MEC invites students to submit posters showing something they learned from the safety demos, and selects a winning poster from each service territory. The two selected posters are displayed on billboards and printed on t-shirts provided to all students in each winner's class. MEC also sponsors educational field trips for the winning classes.
“It's never too early to share the message of electric safety, and our annual April contest allows us to reach hundreds of young students in a fun, engaging and interactive way,” says Patty Nowlin, vice president of corporate communications. “Every year we hear tragic stories about electrical contacts, so this is an important and timeless message for students and adults alike.”
MEC offers free electric and propane safety programs for any group or organization. Programs are adaptable for various audiences and timelines, and can be conducted at our facility or yours. For more information, please contact the community relations team at 800-492-5989 or email@example.com.
The post Local Students Win Electric Safety Contest appeared first on MEC.